Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Leaving tomorrow!!

I wanted to post one last time before I leave tomorrow!! I have the dining room table as packing central! Tons of stuff to bring and a lot of supplies, plus keeping an eye on Tropical storm Emily...sounds like it is just rain and she will be out of Haiti by the time we get there! (Here is a link to the weather in a nearby city [Weather.com does not have a report for where we are staying.]) Hopefully the already bad roads are not worse! Just to give you a little run down of the time in Haiti...we leave KC around 1 pm and land in Fort Lauderdale around 8pm (with a short layover in Dallas FW).  We will stay in a hotel overnight in FL then leave bright and early to Port Au Prince, Haiti, on Friday.  In PAP we will claim all of our bags, get on a bus that will take us to a different airport nearby. Then we wait...and possibly wait longer! In the past they said it has been 1 hour and it has been 6 hours, so we will be patient.  Then we fly to Port-de-Paix, Haiti, and then take a bus to our mission in St. Louis du Nord (which is not far away, but will take 2 hours because the roads are bad.)  Friday night we will set up the operating rooms and get settled in for the night! We have the option of sleeping in separate guys/gals sleeping quarters on beds or bringing a tent. I opted for the tent (recommended by many) so I could control the buzzing mosquitoes better, have some alone time in the evening to reflect on the days events, and most importantly...a few years ago some people had problems with bed bugs! Sounds like it is not an issue now-but it still is to me! So I will sleep on the roof under the stars in my small tent! Saturday we will focus on 3-4 corneal transplants on children.  Sunday is Gods day of rest so we are driving to a nearby beach (Labay?) to have a church service, frolic in the ocean, and possibly have fresh seafood for dinner! Monday through Thursday will be spent mainly in the operating rooms then travelling back through Haiti on Friday and sleeping over in Fort Lauderdale again Friday night and arriving in KC on Saturday around 10 am!! I am very excited about this trip and excited to see the kinds of blessings God will present to me and the people of Haiti!! I will not be able to text or talk on the phone and I will have a limited opportunity to log onto the internet in the evenings to update this blog! I will call home to Brent and the boys a few times and he might update the blog so check back if you want stay updated! Now-off to finish packing!! Love, Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment